GARTH H. BALLANTYNE, M.D., M.B.A.
BOARD CERTIFIED IN:
GENERAL SURGERY & COLON AND RECTAL SURGERY
OFFICE: 4 SHAW'S COVE, SUITE #201, NEW LONDON, CT 06320
SURGEON IN CHIEF
LAWRENCE & MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
LONDON, CT 06320
PRACTICE LIMITED TO LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY
Garth & Helen Ballantyne at daughter Mary's wedding in
Newport, Rhode Island
Dr. BALLANTYNE'S BACKGROUND & TRAINING
Garth H. Ballantyne, MD, is one of the nation's leading laparoscopic surgeons. In 1994
he was appointed the founding Director of the Center for Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery at
St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, where he also served as Chief of the Division of
Laparoscopic Surgery. In 1997, Dr. Ballantyne was recruited to Hackensack University
Medical Center where he was appointed Profess of Surgery, Director of Minimally
Invasive and Telerobotic Surgery and, eventually, Interim Chairman of the
Department of Surgery. In May of 2010, Dr. Ballantyne was appointed Surgeon in
Chief of Lawrence & Memorial Hospital in New London, CT.
Before joining St. Luke's-'Roosevelt, Dr. Ballantyne spent 10 years on the faculty of
the Yale University School of Medicine, where he cstablished a reputation as a pioneer in the
field of laparoscopy, introducing new techniques into surgical practice. He
was one of the first surgeons performing Laparoscopic Colectomy when he
accomplished his first Laparoscopic Colon Resection in 1991. Subsequently, Dr.
Ballantyne performed the first Hand-Assisted Laparoscopic Colectomy in 1993 and the first
Robot-Assisted (Da Vinci) Colectomy in 2000. He added Laparoscopic and Robotic
Bariatrioc Surgery to his armamentarium in 2001, nearly a decade ago.
Dr. Ballantyne has one of the largest laparoscopic colorectal practices in the world.
He also specializes in laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication (for treating gastroesophageal
reflux), inguinal hernia repair, and cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal).
Under Dr. Ballantyne's leadership, Hackensack University Medical center became
the second busiest Bariatric Surgery Center in the United States performing as
many as 1,000 primary Bariatric OPperations per year. Simelarly, under Dr.
Ballantyne's leadership Hackensack University Medical Center grew into the
busiest Robotic Surgery Center and the busiest Robotic Surgery Training Center
in the United States.
Dr. Ballantyne is coeditor of Laparoscopic Surgery the major
reflerence work for physicians on the subject, and he has written some 40 papers
and book chapters on laparoscopy. He has lectured on minimally invasive surgery
to physicians around the world, conducted courses, and traveled widely to guide
other surgeons in performing laparoscopic surgical procedures. He has published
After graduating from Phillips Exeter Academy, Dr. Ballantyne earned his bachelor's degree at Harvard University (Magna Cum Laude in
Biology) and his M.D. degree from the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia
University. Following his general surgical residency at St. Luke's Hospital in Cleveland,
he was a clinical fellow in colon and rectal surgery at the Mayo Clinic.
He received his Masters of Business Administration (MBA) from the Yale School of
Managment - Leadership in Healthcare.
An active researcher, Dr. Ballantyne has authored more than 200 scientific articles.
He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Colon and
Rectal Surgeons. He is a member of numerous scientific and medical societies, including
the Society of University Surgeons, the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopists;
and the Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons.
* Prep School: Phillips Exeter Academy
* College: Harvard University
* Med School: College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University
MBA: Yale University School of Management - Leadership in Healthcare
* General Surgery: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, UCLA Medical Center,
Northwestern Memorial Hospital, St, Luke's Hospital, Cleveland
* Colon and Rectal Surgery: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
* Board Certification: General Surgery and Colon & Rectal Surgery
* 1O Years in Clinical Practice: Yale-New Haven Hospital: 1984 - 1994
West Haven VA Medical Center: 1984 - 1994
* Yale University School of Medicine Full time faculty; 1984 - 1994
* 200 Publications
St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University, New York, New York: 1994-1997
* Director, Center for Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
* Chief, Division of Laparoscopic Surgery
Hackensack University Medical
Center, Hackensack, New Jersey: 1997 - 2010
* Director of Minimally Invasive
Surgery, Bariatric & Robotic Surgery
* Professor of Surgery
Chairman of the Department of Surgery
Lawrence & Memorial Hospital: 2010 to
* Surgeon in Chief
Surgeon in Chief, Lawrence & Memorial Hospital, New London, CT
Dr. Ballantyne with Dr. C. Everett Koop at the Time Life Medical release
of the Patient Education Video on Laparoscopic Gallbladder Removal
for which Dr. Ballantyne served as a consultant.
* Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
* Fellow of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
* Society of University Surgeons
* Association for Academic Surgery
* American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
* The Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
* The European Association of Endoscopic Surgeons (EAES)
* The Society of Laparoendoscoic Surgeons (SLS)
* New York Socieity of Gastrointestinal Endoscopists
* New York Laparoscopy Club
* The Trocar Club
SATELLITE TELECASTS OF LIVE LAPAROSCOPIC OPERATIONS:
* Society for Minimally Invasive Therapy
* The Italian Surgical Congress
* The Royal London Hospital
* British Surgical Stapling Group
* Chilean Society of Coloproctologists
* Intemational Conference on Minimally Invasive Surgery, New Zealand
* The University of Milan, Italy
INVITED PRESENTATIONS ON LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY:
* The American College of Surgeons
* The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
* The Association of Surgical Residencies Program Directors
* The Society of Minimally Invasive Therapeutics
* The British Society of Gastroenterology
* The Society of Minimally Invasive General Surgeons (United Kingdom)
* The British Surgical Stapling Group
* The Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland
* The Italian Surgical Congress
* The Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons of the Republic of China
* The International Symposium on Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery
* The Society of Coloproctologists of Chile
* The International Conference on Minimally Invasive Surgery, New Zealand
* Advances in General Surgery, Albert Einstein School of Medicine
* Annual Postgraduate Course, New York University Medical Center
* New York Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
* Columbia University Review of Hepatic and Gastrointestinal Diseases
Dr. Ballantyne has been married to Helen Kilgrew Ballantyne for 35 years.
Mrs. Ballantyne earned a B.A. at Simmons College in Boston and an M.A. Phi Beta
Kappa in Early Childhood Education at Teachers College of Columbia University.
Dr. and Mrs. Ballantyne have five children. John programs artificial
intelligence for computer games for Lucas Arts in San Francisco, CA. Mary tracks
the location of art for the contemporary artist Jeff Koontz and advises him on
his personal collection. She is the proud mother of
Charlotte, Garth and Helen's first grand child. Elizabeth recently recived her
Masters Degree in Early Child Education from Teachers College, Columbia
University and teaches pre-school in a New York City private school. James just completed his PhD in Autonomous Navigation for Mobil Robots
and will soon join Intouch Health, a medical robotics company, in Santa Barbara,
CA.. Ann is in her second year of nursing school..
The Ballantyne's in Keystone, Colorado on Christmas Day. 1996.
Garth & Helen Ballantyne at Hackensack
University Medical Center Annual Gala.
Charlotte - Garth & Hellen's first grandchild.
CONTACT US AT:
This page last updated: September 11, 2010 09:55 AM
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT Dr. BALLANTYNE
or browse these other pages:
Copyright 1996, Garth Hadden Ballantyne, M.D., P.C. All rights reserved.
50 East 69th Street, New York, New York 10021 (212)-249-2626 or (800)-LAP-SURG